Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Instruments and Mouthpieces that I use

Instruments and mouthpieces used by professional trumpet player Randy Dunn.

Because many people ask me about what equipment I play on (what kinds of trumpets and what mouthpieces), here is the answer to that question, in the form of a detailed list:

Equipment that I play on:

Bb Trumpet: Bach Stradivarius, model 37, ML bore (mid 70’s);
C Trumpet: Bach Stradivarius, 229 bell with 25H leadpipe, L bore (mid 80’s);
Eb/D Trumpet: Yamaha model TYR-731 (70’s? An early Schilke design copy by Yamaha);
A/Bb Piccolo Trumpet: Getzen Eterna 4-valve with trumpet mouthpiece receivers (made in the 1970s?) But, when playing the piccolo trumpet in A, I use a Blackburn leadpipe (I feel like the original Getzen A leadpipe that came with the instrument was too open, without enough resistance.) When playing the piccolo in Bb, I use the original Getzen Bb piccolo leadpipe. I have also added a 4th valve slide throw ring to this instrument to aid in tuning (and I operate this throw ring with my left hand pinky.)
Flugelhorn: Getzen Eterna 4-valve;
Herald Trumpet: E. K. Blessing ML bore.
I also have a couple of cornets and a pocket trumpet, but I rarely use these professionally.

My trumpet mouthpieces are all my own custom designs/configurations:

(1) Bach 10 & ¾ CW with a 25 throat and 24 backbore: My all-around mouthpiece (for the larger trumpets.) This is the mouthpiece that I play on most of the time and that I do most of my practice routines on.

(2) Parduba 4 & ½ (double-cup) with a Bach 10 & ¾ CW rim (put together for me with a screw-on rim by Bob Reeves): This is the mouthpiece that I use almost always on the piccolo trumpet and for some lead trumpet playing (for lead parts that require staying above the staff for a long time.) It facilitates the upper register, yet still gets a big, fat sound.

(3) Bob Reeves ES 692SL with a Bach 10 & ¾ CW rim (put together for me with a screw-on rim by Bob Reeves): This is my “Brandenburg” mouthpiece, the one that I use on piccolo trumpet when playing extreme high register pieces such as the Bach Brandenburg Concerto #2. I also have started using this mouthpiece when playing piccolo trumpet with small string chamber groups (like string quartets) because the sound is much smaller (softer) than what I can get with my Parduba mouthpiece (see #2 above), making it easier for me to balance with the soft strings. I also use it for extreme upper-register screaming (when I want to do something like play a double high C in a jazz or pop band, and want to make sure that I nail it.)

(4) Parduba 4 & ½ (double-cup) flugelhorn mouthpiece. (NOTE: This is a standard model flugelhorn mouthpiece, and is not customized in any way. I even think that the original rim on it is very comfortable.) This is my #1 flugelhorn mouthpiece, and I use it for playing most flugelhorn solos and even for most section work that I do. This mouthpiece makes it very easy for me to play in the extreme upper register, yet it still gets a characteristically dark flugelhorn sound, and also sounds great in the extreme (extended) lower register. This is the flugelhorn mouthpiece that I now use almost all of the time.

(5) Bach 10 & ¾ CW FL flugelhorn mouthpiece. This is the flugelhorn mouthpiece that I had used for many years before discovering the Parduba flugelhorn mouthpiece. I still use it a little (although infrequently), as when I am playing something on the flugelhorn that I want to have an extra-dark tone quality and that doesn't require extreme upper register or even soprano/trumpet register playing. (This mouthpiece is more for playing alto lines, which is what the flugelhorn typically most often does anyway.) When using this mouthpiece, I don't like to have to play above a high A (on the first ledger line above the staff.) (NOTE: This is also a standard mouthpiece, and is not customized in any way.)

In future articles, I will explain how I arrived at choosing these particular mouthpieces and I will describe their specific features. I will also be posting some general suggestions and advice on how to choose your own personal trumpet mouthpieces that will work best for you based on what types of music that you play and also based on your own unique individual needs and physical characteristics.

Randy

Randy Dunn
Trumpet Soloist
http://bandsites.org/dunn2music/
http://www.youtube.com/HoustonTrumpet (YouTube demo videos)

No comments: